That's Me

That's Me

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Prayers with the Victims in Boston

When my kids got home from school yesterday, they came in with their usual loud chatter, all talking to me at the same time, just as they do every day. As they all slowly took in the look on my face & the news channel on the TV, they asked me what had happened. I know the first thoughts were of a school shooting.

It breaks my heart that my kids' minds immediately go to a violent act on children in school. We live in a sick, sick world where that is someone's first thought. 

As I explained what had happened in Boston, my children watched the loop of videos showing the bombs going off, people buried under rubble, & bloody victims in the arms of their heroes. Then I told my kids that I was just waiting to hear from my friend who had run in the marathon. 

When they realized this was also personal to our household, the emotions ran even deeper on their faces. Boy Teenager was the one who asked me the most throughout the afternoon if I'd heard from my friend. 

As my kids put pieces together: not knowing if my friend was safe or even alive, remembering the races hubby has run in, the one Boy Teenager ran with him, the kids who have cheered him on with me & showed immense pride when he crossed the finish line...it all makes it even more real. They know what it's like to be there, running or watching a loved one run. They can picture what it was like to be a spectator at the race, they can imagine if it had happened at a race their step-father was in.

You wish this kind of thing was a nightmare. 

Unfortunately it's not a nightmare; I can't hold my kids close while murmuring, "It's okay, sweetie, it wasn't real. Mommy's here, I'll get rid of the bad dream & bad men. It's all over now." I can't do that & I can't even answer their questions. 

Each of my children handled it in very different ways, just like they did with the Sandy Hook shooting. Boy Teenager was discussing recent threats our country has received, Ginger Girl focused on why someone would do this. I couldn't answer any of their questions or calm any of their fears. I don't know why; there is never a reasonable explanation for why. Even if we are able to get an answer to that question it won't ever be able to make sense. I don't know what would make a person do this or even think of doing this to innocent people.

Rather than focus on what I couldn't answer, I chose to help my kids focus on the good. The amazing military men & women, the countless EMT's, police officers, medical/hospital staff, by-standers who all jumped to action. People carrying hurt victims, tying off & bandaging wounds while waiting for transportation to a hospital, those hurt taking care of those who were hurt worse, adults guiding children away from the scene, people who helped others search for loved ones. Rather than wish I could zip all of my children & hubby into our own safe little world where nothing bad could ever touch us, I take these opportunities to show my children that there are good people out there.

This horrible, nightmarish act represents a small portion of society, the few evil people who committed this act while showing us the many, many countless men & women who cared only about their fellow man.

I love this quote from Mr. Rogers.

P.S. I'm thankful to say that my friend is safe & resting tonight. She broke some bones when the blast knocked her to the ground & hopefully with physical therapy she will one day run again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, spill what you're thinkin'...