That's Me

That's Me

Thursday, January 24, 2013

I Feel Famous

I have to give a shout out to a certain friend in New York. I've been friends with her for about 20 years now but we have never actually met. Before there was people meeting online & pretending to be other people (love the show Catfish, by the way), there was this thing called Pen Pals.

When I was about 13, I was going through my parents' Countryside magazine & noticed there was a pen pal section in the back. There was an ad from a girl about my age who lived on a farm & was homeschooled...like me. With my love of writing & meeting new people I decided to send her a letter about myself. Through our marriages (2 for me, 1 for her), our children (27 for me, not that many for her--she's not crazy), & all of life's ups & down, we have continued with this unique friendship.

I have always loved getting her letters (which eventually became emails) & pictures. As soon as I would get a letter in the mail, no matter how old I was, I would stop whatever I was doing to take the time to read about my New York friend & her life. "Hush down, kids, Mama's takin' a break!"

Every Christmas I look forward to getting the end of year letter that my friend's husband writes. It is fun to read about their family from his perspective after hearing about things from her throughout the year. My favorite part of the letter is when he writes a paragraph just about his wife. The way he talks about her...he truly feels he has the best wife & treasure in the world. I am so happy for both of them when I read the way he views her.

This year I tore her Christmas card open, super excited, just like every other year that they've sent me one. I read the letter first, enjoying his recap of their year, smiling at his words about their twin boys, loving how he spoke about his wife/my friend. After I finished reading that, I read the card & did The Eddi Happy Dance in my kitchen. I giggled. I gleed. I couldn't wait for other members of my family to get home to show them the card.

Mrs. Friend had the Christmas card made out to:

Eddi Girl, Hubby, Amazing Grace, Boy Teenager, Blondie, Big D, Ginger Girl, & Little Blondie. 

I felt like I did when someone introduced me to their friend & before she could finish the introduction, the other friend said, "Oh...my...gosh...you're Eddi Girl!! I'm meeting Eddi Girl!" That day I felt famous.

Not only was I acknowledged as Eddi Girl, the blog writer, but my entire family was acknowledged by their given-by-me-for-your-reading-pleasure names.

Thank you, New York Friend, for my first ever (that may or may not be a hint to others) Eddi Girl Christmas Card. It is going in Christmas 2012's scrapbook.

Thank you to all my friends & family for the cards sent to us. All the pictures are up on the Hall of Fame (side of the fridge, in individual protective-covered magnetic frames) & all the cards are still hanging around the kitchen doorway for all to see. I love the cards, letters, & pictures I receive in the mail.

 Now I just need to get healthy so that I actually have something to write about. Life is pretty boring when you're too sick to move & your days consist of homework. As much as I thoroughly enjoy studying genetics, I'm pretty sure no one wants to read about me studying genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, spill what you're thinkin'...