That's Me

That's Me

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Sweet Sound of School Buses in the Morning

The kids went back to school today. I have a freshman, an 8th grader, a 6th grader, 2 3rd graders, and a 1st grader.

It's a very strange feeling to know that today means my oldest only has 4 years left of school and my youngest has 12 years left.

When you're a parent you know that Time is a very odd little man. Sometimes it goes so stinkin' slow, like when you've had a really long day, you're propping your eye lids open with tooth picks, and your kids' bedtime is so.far.away. Or when your kid sees a rather plump lady in the store and yells, "Mommy! I bet that lady really likes donuts! Someone should tell her they're bad for her!"

Time also goes too fast. Like when you realize that your baby girl was waving at you as she got on the bus for first grade on this day 8 years ago. 8 years can seem like a long way away when you're looking into the future. But you see how short of a time it really is when you're looking back on your life.

What an odd little man indeed, that Time.

September is starting out as a great month. Today I have no homework, a quiet house, and all that's on my to-do list is to catch up with the Kardashians via the DVR & my trashy magazines. After the last 2 days, I need a day of nothing-ness.

Sorting school supplies with a bunch of hyper mini people who all want to make sure they get their favorite color in folders & notebooks is overwhelming for me. Heaven forbid the 11 year old daughter doesn't get all blue items. Or the 8 year old daughter gets anything in a boy color. Or the 13 year old son doesn't get at least one red item.

For the last 2 days I have not only started my classes but I have also sorted school supplies for children & myself, sorted dressers & closets full of clothing, labeled at least 2,147 school supplies with various children's names, and packed back packs that made the younger kids tip backwards when they put them on. At this point I'm just hoping I used my kids' actual names on the supplies. If I started writing some random name on the notebooks & pencils, they're SOL. They'll have a new name to go by at school 'cause I'm not relabeling one damn thing.

"Why does your folder say Bob? That's not your name." "'Cause my Mom has too many kids to remember who we are."

That's the reason my #4 child thought she had 4 first names for the first 3 years of her life. It always took me at least that many names before I got to hers. Sometimes a cat's name got thrown in there just to throw her off. It's not that I can't remember which child I'm yelling at lovingly speaking to, it's just that I have so many names floating around in my head, I open my mouth & the names start falling out until the right one is announced. It's a Mommy Phenomenon.

I've gone beyond this Mommy Phenomenon though & gone straight to Crazy Old Lady by pointing to a child & saying, "You" or "That one."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, spill what you're thinkin'...